View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Just remember the greatest folklore about foretelling the severity of a New England winter is how well-prepared you are for it. If you buy a snazzy new snowblower, snowmobiles, skis, and order tons of firewood, it will definitely be a mild, snowless winter. However, if you leave tools lying around in the yard in November, don't take the swim ladders in off the dock, never do your fall cleanup, don't order any firewood, and decide against replacing the worn-out snow shovel, the winter will definitely be a record snow year and very cold. When there's a warm spell in winter and I want to use my skis and snowshoes, I take all the snow shovels and bury them in the garage where I won't be able to get at them. Then I put off food shopping until all I have is a few drops of milk and a slice of bread. This usually results in a quick end to the midwinter thaw, and tons of snow.
My snowblower is 10 years old, and my snowmobile is 5 years old, with no new sled in the near future. However, I did just by my son a "new" sled, but it is a 1986 model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Being a fan of snow, cold and winter in general, I am all for a cold, snowy one. However, you all were "blessed" with what I would call a great winter while down here in Jersey we got diddly, nada, zip.

And, while I really don't want to pay for all that heating oil that is headed my way (unless we convert to gas and get a new boiler which is likely), I say "bring it on!"

I have the foolproof solution to guarantee snow in Jersey. Having children. My oldest was born in December 1993 and we had a doozy of a winter. My younger son came in April 1996. There was still so much snow on the ground that we had yet to take down the Christmas Lights. They were frozen onto the bushes. We didn't get them off until late April that year. Another winning winter!

However, I am not birthing any more babies so you are all on your own!

nj2nh
Me either! My son was born in Feb 1996...