View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 09:18 AM   #12
The Real BigGuy

Two simple rules:
Don’t answer calls from numbers you don’t recognize. If you don’t have a phone with caller id, get one. Also, most newer phones allow you to tie caller id with your personal phone book. If the name that comes up is not written the way you programmed it, don’t answer it. Meridthman is correct, if it is important they will leave a message. (If you don’t have a phone system with answering capabilities, get one. They are cheap!) Also, most phone companies offer land line number block systems. I have one from Verizon that blocks 10,000 numbers. I don’t need to answer the phone, just push a button while the line is active.

If your grandson or granddaughter is calling from Mexico they will leave a message on voice mail with a call back number that you can verify.

Second, don’t open e-mails that say you’ve won something, UPS, FedEx, etc. is holding a package for you (my son works for UPS - they just don’t do that). Don’t open e-mails that say you’ve won something. (You haven’t). Don’t open e-mails from banks, etc. that say they are important. They most likely aren’t and if they were the bank would call and leave a voice mail message. Send these e-mails directly to your junk mail or spam folder. Reason? Did you know that you can request a return receipt for e-mails you send when they are opened? You can & so can scammers. This receipt tells them they have a “good” e-mail address that they can target with spam & scams and that they can sell to other bad actors. If you send it to junk or spam files it is blocked and (should be) used by your provider to reduce future bad actor e-mails.

Don’t ever respond to e-mails asking for account numbers, passwords, etc. This is private info and no viable company will use e-mail to ask for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote