View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default original problem

When the boat was put into reverse it vibrated and clunked as if things were not meshing properly. Fay’s found and replaced a rusted and bound up gamble bearing then returned boat to us. Two or three consecutive returns netted little change and the mechanic pretty much stating they did not know what the problem was, but suggested the possibility of rebuilding the outdrive.
I believe the severely worn bushings coupled with the broken steering cable left enough play in the system to induce a severe vibration due to it being a duo-prop and the amount of torque it produces when put into gear. Pretty much everything from the steering wheel to the outdrive had a large amount of play in it as determined by a different mechanic.
As for getting upset with the marina yes I am. The boat was cleaned up and launched by my wife. I had no time to look into the problem due to my busy schedule that is why we took it to a marine. As for throwing things out there, all of the problems found were found by the mechanic at Irwin’s in short order.
I have a troubleshooting and diagnostics (electro-mechanical engineering) background having done so for 20 years before getting out of it and becoming a self employed contractor. So I have a really good understanding of the operation of most moving parts and was able to fully understand what was presented to me by both Fay’s and Irwin’s.
As for Fays Marina before this happened I had reservations about bringing the boat there.
As you drive into the place you are greeted with a picture of a cross between a dump and a boat junk yard. This has been brought up in conversation long before this happened with people who go there to do work on boats. I’ve been to a lot of marina’s around the lake and Fay’s is one of the most disorganized I’ve seen.