View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
Pepper

Default Empty Nest

This morning around 9:30 I clicked onto the Opsrey cam for my morning fix. Both youngsters were in the nest, one enjoying breakfast, the other preening. I watched for my allotted ten minutes, then went about other business.

About 40 minutes ago, I clicked in again, and one of the youngsters had fledged. The other was picking at some fish bones, not getting much from any of them. Intermittently he/she would flap wings a bit, and then pick a bit more at the fish bones. A few minutes later, I noticed him/her intently listening and looking toward two spots to the left of the camera image, and then flapping/flying/hopping from one side of the nest to the other. This went on for another five minutes or so. I was sure this one was about to fledge, so as soon as the session ended, I clicked in again - thank heavens I did! Within four minutes of that session, I witnessed a few more of the listening/flapping/hopping episodes, and then swoosh! Off the nest he/she flew!

I was so enthralled watching this happening, and although I'm sad to see the nest empty, it was a priveledge to watch such a special event take place!

I have no idea if Ospreys return to the nest once they've fledged, but I'll be checking the cam regularly to find out!

I hope all of you who are bird lovers were able to watch the cam over the past several days. Many thanks to PSNH for sharing this wonderous view with all of us!!!!!