View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady
The Bald Eagles are here for most of the year. When there are so many tourists around (and so much extra activity), you don't see the eagles very often. Come November, they come out and we see them daily. They never fail to impress with their beauty and size. Last winter there was a thread on the Forum about a deer carcass on the ice near us. A pair of Bald Eagles feasted for days until a huge female Golden Eagle showed up. They had to wait until she was full before eating. It was an amazing show.
Interestingly, on Wed evening of this week, I went out into my front yard to swing a new golf training club. So I could check my swing, I faced my house which is all glass and acts like a mirror. After about 4 or 5 swings, I was startled by a loud flapping of wings coming out of the very large oak tree in our front yard (can't even come close to putting your arms around this monster), and going up the street , only visible for a second or two, was a Golden Eagle, or at least I think it was. Huge wingspan, brownish in color, but unfortunately, I could see it's head. I have seen vultures in the neighborhood, but this was bigger than any vulture I have ever seen.

Sure wish I had seen it in the tree before swinging the club. Would have been nice to get a picture.