View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
JL Girl

I was living in Groton, Ct. then, working for Electric Boat (EB - the sub maker). The night before the storm, I didn't know it was coming but had gone to the store, gotten groceries, books, mags, etc for some intuitive reason. The next morning an EB friend called to offer a ride to work in their jeep and I said no, I'd be all right. However, when I got down to the car, the snow was over the wheels so called and got my friends to come after all. It took us an hour to get up the hill to EB (a one mile, 5 minute ride normally) and we no sooner got to work, that we found out the governor had declared a state of emergency for Ct. and that EB would be closed for the week along with about every company in Ct. and RI and Mass. We never lost power the whole time and it was actually quite a nice restful respite. My poor brother in Mass., however, worked for the town DPW and ended up plowing for some 48 hours straight without hardly a break. The DPW had cots, food, etc. My father's boss and his wife had snowmobiles and spent the week ferrying health workers to hospitals to work. I will never forget the TV pictures of Route 128 with those 1000 plus cars stranded and at the end of the storm, how they had to systematically remove them to clear the roadway. Quite something wasn't it?
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote