View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
nj2nh

Default Hey, Just Sold!

I was living in Swansea, Ma, during that wonderful storm. You were just next door!

I was a senior in High School and went to a private school in Providence. We were dismissed at about 1pm and the bus (one for all the kids from our neighborhood who went to school in Providence) came for us. We got home without a hitch. My brother was in school in Dartmouth and must have made it home easily as well. Two boys from another school in Providence took their mom's car to school that day. It had chains on the tires. They didn't get home that night as they got stuck behind another car which couldn't move. We missed an entire week of school. The underclassmen had to make them up, but the seniors didn't. It was great!

We didn't get plowed out for DAYS! The National Guard came and took my dad to work at the hospital (he's an MD). Finally, my mother sent my brother and I out into the snow to trudge down to the little store to get whatever we could lay out hands on. When we got to the end of our street, we discoverd that ours was the only one that hadnt been plowed.

Still, at 17, it seemed like a great adventure. I wouldn't mind living though it again just so my kids could experience Mother Nature at her worst - or best depending on your point of view.

nj2nh