View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #57
ApS

Cool Unrestricted Moth-Class Sailboat...Winnipesaukee's "e-PFD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Imagine that, aside from the timing, I was mostly right. Hardly got any rain here, and it is a bit breezy today. But it is gorgeous out there today!
That "breeze" had most boats at odd angles on the water—spray was the order of the day.

A neighbor who struggles with a "development-class" of sailboat couldn't keep it upright all afternoon. Though it looks fast even while capsized on these waters, it is the only boat whose operation I could term "aerobics".

These are two International Moth examples, which are successfully upright and racing each other in Sweden.

But everyone saw just one very-soaked example here—and we saw it "enjoyed" for only a few seconds at any one time :

While upright, it's transparent plastic sail produced a 72 square foot "flash" from the Sun. Within our protected waters, "rescue" had flashed through the minds of everyone watching—as neither sailboat nor skipper was upright for very long.

In yesterday's super-rollers, whitecaps, and spray...not-so-much could it be called "sailing".

I would have termed it, "swimming with an expensive Personal Flotation Device".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote