Thread: Wal-mart....
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #30
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
I agree with your "friends and neighbors". Why sound proud of moving jobs out of the USA? It maybe a global economy but let's try to keep the jobs here in the US!
Where did I say I was proud? I was not. I didn't like it at all. No more than those servicemen did several decades ago. It's about the perception of society. Not to mention you are assuming I was one of the key decision makers who ultimately made the call. I was not. (though given the economic realities, I may have made the same call)

In my case, it was computer support jobs. Everyone complained about having "Dave" from Bangalore answer the phone when they called for support. But the reality was that "Dave" was as good an engineer as Bob in Belmont, and cost 1/4 the price. And when they went into Best Buy to buy that laptop and had to choose between the same featured laptop from company A and company B, they always chose the cheaper one, regardless of whether the price differential was due to keeping those support jobs in the US. It's the reality of the global market. Not a lot different than NE competing with OK for corn, but on a global scale.

As I said earlier, the good news is the balance flipped quickly, and many of those jobs are now returning. The challenge continues to be to do it better, faster, and with higher quality than the competition. No different than 200 years ago, when we were "stealing" all those jobs from people in France, England, and Germany.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote