Thread: Wal-mart....
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #29
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I spent the latter part of my career moving jobs overseas. I was lucky enough to get a retirement package that allowed me to get out when I wanted to do so. But part of what drove it was the reaction of my friends and neighbors. It was like I was a service man returning from a foreign war in 1970. I was "stealing" American jobs and moving them overseas.

Wake up people! We now live in a global economy. Many products that are "Made in USA" are made from parts that were sourced all over the globe, and the "foreign" (eg: Toyota...made in Tennessee) cars are not so much.

The places and people I visited were wonderful. I've said often that the best thing I could do for my kids is send them to India/China/etc for a month so they can see the competition. They aren't "stealing" American jobs. They are most often building a superior product for the price, that the marketplace is willing to buy. Most of the families I met overseas reminded me of the stories I heard from my great grandfather and grandfather about what it was like to be Irish/Italian/Polish/etc. in 1900's America.

It's the competition folks, and the American dream is based on working harder and smarter than the others. Except now it's global. Accept the challenge.

The good news is that in the past few years, the balance is returning and we can compete. If we are better.

I will always look to buy "American", but only if the quality is comparable, and the price is in the same reasonable ballpark. It's called capitalism. Still the best model us humans have found despite the arguments otherwise. Others may call it Darwinism.
I agree with your "friends and neighbors". Why sound proud of moving jobs out of the USA? It maybe a global economy but let's try to keep the jobs here in the US!
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote