View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post

Unclear why people (natives or not) aren't celebrating this as a win... politics? I'd be shocked!

PIG - enjoy the lake this time of year, it's beautiful!!
My Lack of Support is not at all politically motivated.

And while it appears from the tone of my posts, that I am totally against, this realize that I do understand that the current facilities are not adequate and that something needs to be done.

I am just not sure that this is the land fall for the state that others seem to believe that it is. I have done a lot of traveling around this country, by car and visited a great many rest areas, visitor centers, truck stops and the like. I have seen what works and doesn't.

During times of peak travel there is no doubt that places like this do a good business.... But when travel is not at its peak, and they have to maintain staffing the profits get eaten up. Hence why often you see the prices at a premium... So sure in the summer and during ski season business is great... but what about the other 6 months of the year.

In my last posted I pointed out the first of what I am sure are multiple concessions that the state is making in this joint venture, reimbursing 8.4M$. I implore people to continue to look at this deal, and gain the understanding that is needed to truly decide if this is indeed a good deal for the state.

I will be more then willing to fall on my sword, if this venture is truly in the states best interest. However I am skeptical, and believe that it may not be.
Does that mean I am angry about it. No, it means that be involving private business to this level has a risk level, that may not be in the states best interest.

The funny thing is.... if the state had designed the facility, and built it... And then Granite State Hospitality had step in to run the food concessions, I would be much less opposed to the plan.....

Please keep in mind there was venture called Bear Right in Concord. Which is now completely none existent... Restaurant Choices, a gas station, all right off the highway... what happened to that?