View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Mr. Moyer

Default A necessary evil?

Froggy and canis, I agree with you both whole heartedly. It is ashame that it took gas prices rising for many to become more efficient and for there to be a "real" public outcry for more fuel efficiant car/homes/factories/etc. I've been telling my wife and friends for years, we should consider ourselves luck to be paying low gas prices. I have numerous friends who live or lived in Europe and they have been paying through the nose, (over $5 for 5+ years now). This is the reason they drive ridiculously small cars and ride bicycles at a greater rate then in the states. In general they are much more green and have better public trans usage.
Many people have seen this coming for years and have been trying to bring attention to the issues, but until it hits the masses,in this case in the form of gas increases and increased prices on most supplies, no one really cares. There is no reason we haven't put more effort into renewable resources, like mandating that all new housing complexes institute solar panels into the designs, etc. This does two things, mandates alternative methods, and also drops the prices of these technologies. I explored solar panals for my home out west 3 years ago and tey just didn't make sense financially (would have taken 10 years to pay off), now the same panels will only take 3 years to break even.
All of this being said there will be a squeeze for the next year or so. And I'm feeling it as much as everyone. People will be eliminating the pleasures in life, such as going out to eat as frequently, and/or travelling to the lake every weekend. They may switch to every other weekend for example. It is certaintly not ideal, but I for one feel it will be better, for us, and the enviorment for years to come. Who knows, but it seems inevitable, so we just have to deal with it for the short term. Remember, it also makes for less boats on the lake so we can at least enjoy that for the near future....God knows that won't last forever.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote