View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #116
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just some elaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
...However, what I find most interesting is that a 24 foot boat can be so hard to find. I would have previously assumed that with a rough idea of where it went down, a few divers, a few days and some technology like side scan sonar, it's an easy find. Maybe I've been watching too much CSI. Maybe this is also a nice reminder of just how big the lake can really be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirkaus
An object (boat) may not go straight to the bottom. The hull could "plane" under water and carry the boat quite a distance. Good luck to those looking for it, tha'ts a BIG lake
The problem I see it is that a 24' boat in the scheme of the lake is pretty small. And then add in as Pirkaus so accurately mentions the boat probably didn't fall like a brick. Even with the Sonar I would think it is quite like finding a needle in a hay stack. Remember by the time the divers get down to depth there visibility isn't that great. I believe earlier in the thread Diver gave some numbers on the visibility the divers had.... Then add in the limited time in the day....and the time a Diver can stay down..... I am sure they are all doing the best they can, it just takes time.....

Two things that have come up and I don't think have been answered unless I missed the answers....are when does the search get called off.... and just how big is the search area?