View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #34
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLake View Post
If you can find the time, please read http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/24-D.htm ...

Wouldn't want that in my water

I did and first off that article you presented is outdated. More importantly did you happen to see the disclaimer at the bottom:

DISCLAIMER: The information in this profile does not in any way replace or supersede the information on the pesticide product labeling or other regulatory requirements. Please refer to the pesticide product labeling.

In case you weren't aware 2,4 D is a commonly used chemical for treating weeds. You know those bottles of weed-b-gone, weed control fertilizer etc.. most notable it's used on just about every farm across the US for weed control so guess what it's probably in or on your food and no doubt in your drinking water, yes even in that so called safe bottled water so look out you may grow 4 arms, three legs and glow in the dark and die some miserable death.

OK back to reality.

The fact is the chemical itself is toxic, DUH that's the point! What FORMULATION is used, what media is used, liquid or pellet, and at what CONCENTRATIONS it's applied makes all the difference as to how TOXIC it is to various animals, plants and fish. However make no mistake about it the idea here is to apply it at levels toxic to Milfoil. What that specific concentration and formulation is I have no idea and really don't care. It's being applied for a reason, it's been studied, it's been used for quite some time, it works and with minimal and acceptable side affects. Thankfully those that are making the decisions to use this stuff don't fall prey to inaction because there may be a remote chance when the planets align, the temperature is 65.7 degrees, the sun is out and a fish farts all at the same time something bad may happen. Really? Inaction for sure guarantees something bad will happen.

As for the loons, you can kiss them goodbye if your cove gets all choked up with milfoil. Better to have it treated and maintained than for it to turn into a swamp full of weeds.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: