View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Jakelake:

It is obvious that you have done a lot of research on the subject of milfoil and I wish you well in your studies.

I am proud to say that I am a member of the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee. I can assure you this, the members of the committee are some of the most dedicated environmentalists that I have ever had the pleasure to work and live with.

Without pay we have spent countless hours dealing with a great problem that has appeared on our Lake. The committee works very closely with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Service. My point is that the program is not some half baked scheme but rather a very detailed plan known as the "Long Term Milfoil Management Plan". The plan was written by DES.

There are four options available once a milfoil situation has developed:
Eradication, Maintenance, Containment and No action.

Eradication: This could use any combination of the following.

Hand pulling. This is the least wanted method as if not done correctly the plants will break up and spread the problem greatly. It takes trained divers to identify and skillfully pull the plants without making the situation much worse.

Chemical treatments:

This uses herbicides such as 2,4-D to kill the plants in place. This is usually done where infestations are severe and localized. These chemicals are applied by licensed personnel and as directed (when, where, how much) by NH DES. These chemicals are well known and highly effective and well regulated.

The method used depends on the situation but may be treating chemically, then going back with a Diver Assisted Suction Harvester (DASH) team to get the roots and then monitoring.

Maintenance:

Once an are has been cleared it is checked for regrowth.

Containment:

An infested area may have barriers put up to stop the plants from leaving an area via a stream, or some other outlet.

Or No Action:

The problem will just continue to grow.

I suggest that you check out the Moultonborough Milfoil plan. I think that it can be accessed on the town website.

In ending. This is a huge problem that will not go away by itself. It will take active husbandry and commitment to save our Lake. Every option must be used when appropriate.

Misty Blue
It's a bit irresponsible to suggest that the NH DES, the various towns, UNH (who I know have been actively studying the milfoil problem among other things), the NH Lakes Association and probably a bunch of environmental groups all have it wrong and are hap haphazardly dumping milfoil treatments into the lake. As you can see by Misty Blue's posting (Thank you) this is taken very seriously and if not for the dedication and hard work of many people some listed above the problem may exist but is actively being contained the best way possible. Also not to be forgotten the lake hosts who are posted at all the boat ramps inspecting boats going in and out of the lake looking to stop the spread of milfoil, along with the educational literature that is handed out. All these people deserve our thanks for the tireless efforts that are made to keep area lakes from further infestations and overall deterioration. Especially the folks at the ramps inspecting boats. I'm sure if there was an alternative it would be used and maybe one day there will be.

Now I'm no tree hugger either and while there may be a 1/1000 chance an application of chemical may affect some water foul or fish, I'll take those odds considering the overall effectiveness of the chemical treatment. That's reality, not kool aid!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: