View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Freshwater Fish Aquariums

The kids got a betta fish a while back. I don't believe in giving pets to kids - they help and learn about the care but as the parent, I see the pets' care as my responsibility first...

So, I've fallen in love with this betta... he's a neat fish and lives in a bowl by my desk. He bumps the sides of the bowl when he's hungry and stirs up the aquarium gems late at night just to scare the snot out of me.

I've just moved him into a bigger aquarium that someone gave me and I bought him a heater because it's been too cold for him (I keep the water at 76 degrees). The pet shop recommended Tiger Barbs when I asked what other fish I could consider putting in with him.

Today I brought home three Tiger Barbs and put them in the tank with Bennie Bubbles (the betta). As I read up on Tiger Barbs I learned that they're "fin nippers" and read several cautions about putting them with bettas!

I plan to separate the Barbs from Bennie but wonder if anyone else has had a betta and if they had other fish in the tank too.... Recommendations?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote