View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you.

The noise is not necessarily generated near the rotors or tower. It is the turbine that is loud and they can be located several hundred meters away from the tower. A turbine is necessary to generate electricity.

While the health risks are debatable…physics are not.
Kracken...

I dont know how familiar you are with the principles of generating electricity, but it basically requires magnets (attached to an axle) spinning inside a coil of wire... (the principle of induction) The bigger the magnets & coil winding the more electricity you can generate... but like any mechanical device, the more mechanical energy (electricity) you want to produce the more kinetic energy (wind, steam, water) you need to convert to mechanical energy to spin the magnets. Anyway.. I digress.

A wind tubine (windmill) is no different from any other turbine.. (water, steam etc.) The axle shaft is always directly attached to the spinning blades converting the kinetic energy to mechanical energy. In the case of a wind turbine the spinning axle is directly connected to the blades. This puts the turbine on top of the support post directly behind the blades... not anywhere on the ground.

Woodsy