View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default not getting a spark.

It is definitely the electronic. I have a 1988 454 Magnum with 640 hrs. The only thing I had to replace were the spark plug, wires and distributor cap. The starter has nothing to do with the 'sparks'. It turns the motor over so that it will start.
If the starter won't turn the motor and you have no spark, it sounds like a dead battery. I never had a battery that lasted more than 7 years.
If you ran the motor dry, usually the fuel pump will fill the carburetor up again. Same with fuel injection. If the fuel lines were dry for a significant length of time, well the gas/ethanol can turn into a turpentine mess.
In 1988 the 'Thunderbolt' ignition does have a CDI 'capacitive discharge ignition' module that looks like a black box with fins. It is not a microprocessor like a computer.
I have replaced the coil with a Jacobs and gap the plugs to .5. Significant improvement in the ignition and the skipping is gone.
I had to replace the fuel tank, fuel hoses and carburetor because of ethanol 4 years ago. Been running great since. I do winterized the boat with an empty tank since the replacement.
I am blessed with the same mechanic for over 30 years!