View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
A smaller boat is going to have many more problems during these conditions then a bigger boat will, which is why many will recommend at 24+ foot boat when people ask for recommendations on boat sizes for Winni.
Why is it people always assume longer is better.... I can say this, as I practice it... Handling the rough water is not just about length, it is about width, and hull configuration... I have never had a boat longer then 18'... one was an incredibly sharp V hull, that would slice through the wave, and made the rough water easy to deal with... My current boat has a wide beam, and is extremely stable because of it. and thus unless I am heading directly into or with a set of wave, is a very comfortable riding boat.

On the contrary, I have been in some narrow 22-24' boats that handle the waves awful, as the don't cut into the wave, nor do they have side to side stability......

---------------------------------------

That aside, Trim tabs, definitely help... and are a good investment when either buying a new boat, or looking to help a old boat out, that is being kept long term.....

---------------------------------------

last Pontoon, vs. TriToon.... Two different beasts... I would agree that Pontoons an a rough day aren't that great... A tri-toon on the other hand is a world of difference......

I have been on both... and was amazed at how much better the tritoon handled.