View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
What do I do on the lake? I try to be defensive, and enjoy the day, even waving to those who may be close by. Enjoy the boating.
Yup, more times than I could ever recall I have been overtaken or passed other boats and we were close enough to clearly see each other and exchange a friendly smile and wave and happy to be able to do so because we were both in full control of our boats!

Call me lucky, but operation in rough water conditions and cruisers curling huge wakes have put me at risk far more often that any 150’ buffer issue. Matter of fact I dont think I have ever had a problem with distance, my biggest concern is the guys playing with their electronics and not watching where they are going!

I would say keeping alert and aware of your surrounding is the number one safety practice, not the 150' rule. But then the 150' rule is easier to put into print,,,

Sorry, not looking to be a spoiler over this, I just have never had an issue with safe distance and question how many have actually been at imminent risk of impact compared to other issues of concern. But then I have only been boating for 47 years, so maybe I should wait a little longer and see what the future brings in say another few years after we implement a few dozen more rules,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote