View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #34
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default I promised myself I wouldn't do this.. but

I have no dog in this fight.. I REALLY don't care which side wins the battle over speed limits. We pick and choose our times on the lake based on weather and general boat traffic. Speed limits, yes or no, won't change the way we use the lake.

but curious minds just had to know..

What exactly is "nit picking..." ?

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-nit1.htm

abstract from the above web page:

"But what seems a little odd is that the figurative sense of nit-picking, of petty criticism or fault finding, is modern. The Oxford English Dictionary records it first only in 1951, in the form nit-picker, in this helpful explanation from Collier’s: “Two long-time Pentagon stand-bys are fly-speckers and nit-pickers. The first of these nouns refers to people whose sole occupation seems to be studying papers in the hope of finding flaws in the writing, rather than making any effort to improve the thought or meaning; nit-pickers are those who quarrel with trivialities of expression and meaning, but who usually end up without making concrete or justified suggestions for improvement”. The first of these two slang terms has died out, with the second taking on much of its meaning."

Disclaimer..
This post is meant to inform and amuse, any nasty replies will be ignored and laughed at.. I'm not trying to be a "fly-specker"