View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
pcmc

Is this referring to the needle that hangs below the slide?
The slide is what opens when you squeeze the throttle with your right hand.
I'm guessing out of habits, the throttle was squeezed to simulate pumping the gas pedal in an older carbureted car to set the choke prior to starting the engine.(?)

I would immediately (yes, before riding the machine) call the repair shop and ask if they inspected the carb to make sure nothing was altered inside the carb.

If they simply did a visual looking into the throat of the carb and saw the slide stuck open, then squeezed the throttle to take tension off of the slide and needle, and wiggled it to align it with the slot that the needle fits into, this may not have fixed the problem.

If there are worn or even the wrong parts in there, the next time you squeeze that throttle the needle may get stuck again! Next time you may be on your favorite stretch of wide open trail, or showing off in a cramped back yard with limited response time.

I hate to seem like I'm trying to scare you, but I'd hate worse to hear you were injured due to an accident because your throttle stuck wide open.

It was mentioned this carb needed an update kit. I would make sure the correct fix was done and not an alternate fix via the wrong needle put in there.

Does anyone know if the needle should come up out of the port from the main jet, or should the tip remain hanging down into the hole slightly? I don't have any machines here I can check.

If this is the valve on the float in the bowl of the carb then this a totally different out come. Clean and adjust the float along with the rest of the carb and your in good shape. The more I think about it, it's probably the float, but if rather be safe than sorry.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post: