View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
The problem with the lights is the two crosswalks going to the bay, as we all know in the State of NH we have to stop by law at every crosswalk to let the people across the street. What Meredith needs is to put crosswalk lights in both crosswalk areas that work with the downtown lights, to let people across as a group rather than each person just walking across the street knowing the driver has to stop. Its going to look like bumper cars with that round about if they don't fix the crosswalk problems.
This is the best idea I've heard. I live in Meredith and work in Moultonborough and drive through town 7 days a week from May through October.....I've pretty much seen it all. During some of the busy summer days there is an auxillary officer directing traffic at the two crosswalks. More often than not, they allow large groups to cross just as heavy traffic going west is going through a green light. This totally backs up the whole intersection.
Also, I've noticed over the years that many people are emboldened by the crosswalk laws and stride right out into traffic, almost daring you stop.
A crossing light at the two crosswalks leading to the docks would be a huge help. Good idea martbri7....now, if you can just sell it to the town fathers.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote