View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

I think Aqua and Jeff are on to something here.There are many LCD screens that are left in freezing temps all the time with no damage at all.Jeff has a point about condensation accumulating in the component and a resutling short when powered up.I'm doing some research on this one.

First thing I ran into was this from HDTVexpert.com

LCD monitors freeze at low temperatures: Well, at some point, everything will freeze! But the liquid-crystal paste used in LCD displays has a different specific gravity than water, and its freezing point is much lower as a result. I have left consumer and professional LCD monitors out in cars overnight when temperatures dropped into the low ‘teens with no adverse effects the next day. (Be nice to the monitor and let it warm up to room temperature before use.)

Keep in mind that many of the displays in today’s cars use LCD technology, in particular car radios and CD players. When was the last time you saw one of those crack when left out in cold weather?

Just found another reply on Yahoo

Will lcd tv freeze in winter months if no heat?
I have a romte cabin which i run with generators. it is not used in winter months and it is not heated or insulated . will my lcd tv get damaged by the cold if i do not bring it home for the winter months. Does any body know?????

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Contrary to popular belief, LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Technology does not involve any sort of liquid whatsoever. LCD panels use tiny microchips that "twist" open to allow light to pass through the display to your eyes. There is no risk of these Crystal "twisters" to freeze. They can get cold, and their "twisting" can be reduced however, but that's about it. I do suggest allow the tv to warm up before use. The answer to your questions would be like asking if it is ok to leave a calculator in a cabin for the winter. Calculators use the same "LCD" technology, and of course, I'm sure the one you left at the cabin last year still works just fine. No worries. Don't forget to rate me. Dan 15 Years Home theatre/Tv sales Management
On a side note, keep in mind, lcd technology has been around for over 50 years (invented by sharp) and the technology is used everywhere, like your car dashboard, boeing 747 airplane control panels, laptops. All these items can and will be exposed to freezing temperatures at some time in their lives, and they are still "Living"