Thread: outdoor clubs
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
windsail

Hi thank you it sounds great! those are challenging hikes, should be fun. I'm in my late 50's, so while I could say I'm young no-one would believe me. lol
Looking forward to it.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
OTHH site is at: http://overthehillhikers.blogspot.co...ll-hikers.html. It's only a few years out of date. You can navigate from there to the schedules for 2014.

Bear in mind that to hike with the "A" group you ought to be in fairly decent shape to sustain a reasonable pace up a typical 4000 footer. In a few instances, someone new joining the group for hike wasn't in the greatest of shape and seriously impeded the progress of the group uphill, although I haven't personally seen that. The range of hiking shape of course varies, and the group won't abandon anyone mid-hike, but we do wait periodically on a trail for everyone to regroup. A new hiker who really isn't in shape, relative to that of the group, becomes a problem for the whole group. If you've done uphill hikes of 3-4 miles (one way) over typical White Mountain trail terrain, without serious difficulty, then you likely could hike with the group.

Just to give you an idea of how long some of our day hikes can be, on occasion someone needs to "do the Bonds," meaning to cover West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff, all on the AMC's 48 NH 4000 footer list. This usually is done via a Pemigewasset Wilderness traverse, from Zealand campground to the north and ending at Lincoln Woods. You pick up also Mt Zealand on the way, bagging four of the 4000 footers in a single 20 mile, 12 hour hiking day. Another covers Mts Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, and Pierce, only 14 miles but with considerable elevation gain. Those two hikes are about as strenuous as we get. More typical, after a couple of 5-7 mile hikes to kick off the season, would be a hike of just 8-10 miles, covering just a single peak or perhaps two peaks on the same ridge.

This is a nice group to hike with. Be aware that we don't mind poking fun at anyone in the group, especially ourselves. So you need a sense of humor. That's for good reason, as we are all "gettin' on in years." Geez, if you're only in your 50s, you're still just a kid. Do you really want to hike with "old folks?"
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote