View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #22
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Duncan recognizes 1 of those 4 NRZs, while Bizer recognizes 4 of those 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Skip, My point was that Bizer has not added NRZ'S to its current chart and are just as guilty as Duncan for not being updated or accurate. {snip}

You helped make my point because you point out that Duncan did not add Advent Cove (see note 1) to its latest chart. Well neither did Bizer and it did not add Black Cove as you said in your last post or East Cove.

While a corrections page on line is fine it does not do you much good when you are out on the lake looking at your chart for information. You have pointed out mostly secondary things that have nothing to do with navigating the lake and avoiding rocks and shoals. Both charts do a very good job at that and I believe that is most important.
note 1: Advent Cove is thee ONLY one of those 4 NRZs recognized by Duncan Press and it is only on their corrections page. They got THAT bit of info correct and updated. That's a good thing

You are right Taz, some information is more important than other information. As I said in the thread starter the Duncan inaccuracies range, in my opinion, from negligent to silly. As of today, 8-22-09, Duncan's web page is still listing the 45/25 Speed Limit on the Lake as ONLY in two areas, Rattlesnake Island and Bear Island - failure to update that info is a major disservice to boaters. The info on the Duncan additions/corrections page today is STILL as it appears in the screen capture in the thread starter - you can click HERE if you want to see it without scrolling back to the top. IMO that is negligence and should have been corrected long ago.

The No Rafting Zones are not navigation hazards and are not as important as other info. They do help show which group tries to be most accurate. We are all human and mistakes happen. Correcting oversights and mistakes and keeping updated IS important. If the Witches Rocks move, I'd like to know about it more importantly, I'd want to know if the markers move or are missing. Who will you trust to keep more current?

Duncan updated their web site this summer to try to discredit Bizer (see the "new" items on their FAQ's web page) instead of concentrating on the accuracy of the information they, Duncan, provide. Duncan Press priorities seem to be aimed at attacking Bizer rather than getting their own information in order. That is important to me.

You must have been looking faster than your eyes can read when you checked BLACK COVE. Both Bizer 7th and 8th editions have the legend markings of a NRZ and the words No Rafting Zone at Black Cove contrary to your observations - see the attached from Bizer edition 7 and also shown on their edition 8 - the one currently on sale at Parafunailia (and elsewhere).

A corrections (and additions) page on the web is valuable because things do change between printings - as I mentioned, I print those and keep them in a big zip-lock bag and carry it with my maps. I carry both maps.

There are more then 4 NRZs on the lake. Of the 4 we've mentioned, 1 is acknowledged by Duncan while all 4 are recognized by Bizer. It's a fact. Let's move on to other map/web site inadequacies unless you have something new to add to the NRZ discussion, OK?

Happy and safe boating.
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote