View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Skip

Default Bad legal advice.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
...If I'd been charged outside of the two limited areas shown, I'd definitely show "Exhibits A and B" to the Judge!

Case dismissed! ...
First, thanks "Skipper" for the research you put into this post, and the appropriate warning you have given us all. Good work, as usual.

As for APS' assertion that you can use the map for a defense in court reference a speeding charge, let me warn you that would be very foolish.

First, the map is the product of a private company and makes no claim to being a legal document. But of further importance is the information printed on each map and made clearly available on their website, which strips you of any legal right to claim their information is a definitive legal source:

Disclaimer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following Warning and Disclaimer appears on all current editions of our navigation charts. Before you use our charts, please read this carefully!

The information in this chart is based on information believed to be reliable obtained from the New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Safety Services, Bureau of Marine Patrol, but there are no assurances that such information is accurate or complete. The Publisher has made reasonable effort to make this chart useful in light of such sources of information, but makes NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, about the accuracy, contents or reliability of this information or the chart. THE PUBLISHER SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY IN TORT, CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES FOR ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS. The purchaser's and other end-user's sole remedy for defects in this chart shall be the replacement of this chart by the Publisher, provided that the defect must be brought to the Publisher's attention in writing within one (1) year after the date of purchase of this chart.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote