View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #111
Woodsy

Birchhaven...

That property you mentioned was originally a restaurant that went out of business (Karl's) and later burned. The property owner did the right thing and tore down the building. The owner of the property has since used it for Bike Week parking. I seriously doubt that 9 days of Bike Week parking covered the taxes on the property.

Meanwhile, they found a buyer for the property (rumoured to be Irving Oil) who was going to transform the property into some sort of gas station/drive thru, contingent on approval from the city. The city was onboard but wanted the property developer to pay the COST of the now being built rotary. That KILLED the project dead.

Just another example of how the City of Laconia thinks....

I suspect with the rotary being built and paid for by the city & state this vacant property will be more "buildable" now. No doubt we will see something there fairly soon.

Belmont Resident...

I agree that NH as a whole needs to create jobs and attract families. The Weirs IS a tourist/resort area, no different than Gunstock or Cannon or Sunapee. I think its in the best interest of the area and the state to attract tourists in any manner possible. Unfortunately, the Weirs is primarily a summer destination. There are some fall/winter activities but it is VERY weather dependent. This year there was no snow so there was no snowmobile business at all and the ski tourist business was off as well.

Woodsy