View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,158 Times in 904 Posts
Default If you passed the test.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Okay,

I was surfing through the various Winni Marina websites, much to the chagrin of my boss who thought I was actually working at my desk on a Friday afternoon..... instead of dreaming about how fast I could get outta here and hit the road for the condo.
BUT I digress ....

as mentioned- I was surfing the Marina websites and came across a statement that I am SHOCKED by ...... under the "Boat Rental" tab one Marina claims -

"Again this year; we will have a limited selection of 20' pontoon boats available with a 25 hp engine, that means you won't necessarily need a safe boating certificate to rent"

Since when is there a size or horsepower clause that negates having a Boating Safety Certificate ?

(Let's see how long this thread lasts before being turned into a Political debate).
As others have said, this has always been the case. That is why you see so many young people with boats like Whalers with 25 HP motors. They do have to learn somewhere............. Maybe you don't remember that part of the rules when you qualified.

I know that most of us act in a similar fashion when approaching another boat on the lake. You see the other boater move in one direction or the other and you may do the same.

This summer a small pontoon boat was on a trajectory to cross my path. I had the right of way yet they kept on coming. I immediately assumed that it was a renter in a 25HP pontoon boat. It was.

I know Thurston's rents a number of pontoon boats with 25HP to unlicensed people. Some minimal instruction should be necessary just to keep the occupants of the rental boat, as well as other boaters on the lake, safe.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote