View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I was a personal lines underwriter for an insurance company and ended up as personal lines underwriting manager. We used to kiddingly refer to our job description as a "decliner of business".

Insurance in modern times has changed from a contract written by insurance people to a contract written by lawyers. That is why insurance often times gives coverage, then takes some or all of it away by an exception(s), and even in some cases will give a little of it back again. Gotta love it.

Term "underwriter" has an interesting origin. Owners of cargo being shipped on sailing vessels would list their cargo on documents posted by the ship. Persons who were willing to insure the cargo against loss would sign their name beneath the cargo listing, and how much they were willing to insure it for. Thus, they became "underwriters" .

Back to boats and their coverage.
I was a commercial lines underwriter for 8 years before moving to the other side as an agent which is what I am currently for the past 4 years. I like the grass on this side of the fence better, much greener LOL

Last edited by AC2717; 08-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote