Thread: Motorcycle Week
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
Happy Gourmand

Default Rule of the road when on a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
I'm a 14 year veteran of street riding both harley and rice rocket (can't belive how fast it's gone by), with quite a few years of off road riding before that. I got my licence in MA thru a saftey course, and the tips and tricks of all of my instructors ring in my head to this day as I'm riding, but the one that stands out the most is "you have to drive like they are all out to f'n kill you!". That being said I never pass on the left, ride too close and when I ride side by side with my hubby, he takes the left rut, I take the right and stay a bit staggered with me a bit behind. Never too close to the yellow line.

Scariest thing I saw was a dumb girl, deciding to take a right turn right in front of hubby not looking of course (words of instructor ring in my head). He rolled right off the windshield and didn't have a scratch. I think I was more shook up than him and the dumb girl was pretty much hysterical because she never saw him coming. Too busy looking at her cell phone probably.

But it's sad that some bozos who ride feel the need to ride like jerks make us all look bad. I stay away from the "organized cahos" of rides and gatherings like bike week becuase of said bozos. Nothing like seeing someone slugging back beers just before the run at 10:00 am and knowing they will be riding in close proximity to you with thousands of others.

And helmet law or not, mine is always on my head. Might not be a full face, but it's there.
It's been a few years since I rode bikes, gave them up when we started having kids. Basic rule of the road for me was: You NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.
I now use the same rule when I am out in the boat.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote