View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Like any other test, you have to learn the right answer plus you have to learn the answer the guy who wrote the test wants.

BTW Vtsteve, I use the pivot off the bow method often to leave a dock. It's most useful when wind is driving you towards the dock. You don't pivot so far that your bow crunches the dock. Just enough to swing the stern out. What other choice do you have?
The video showed using that method was with the wind driving you away from the dock. At any rate, that method would prevent me from ever leaving the dock alone, and would put someone on the deck if I had a crewmate at the time of departure. One reason they don't show the "approved" method in the video, is that for many boaters, it would involve reaching down to untie the bow line, or having someone attempt to jump onto the boat's deck, over the bowrail, to come aboard. The bigger the boat, the bigger the problem.

If the wind is pushing me into the dock, I generally undo the bow line first, then do the stern line, gently get in the boat and push off. I've never had to use the pivot in over fourty years. But I have seen some pretty sloppy docking, and now I know who is teaching it.

In every case on their videos, it contradicts the instructional diagram or graphic.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote