View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
VtSteve

I was just reviewing the online course again. My biggest problem has always been in their diagrams showing docking and pulling away from the dock. Particularly, diagrams that show the mysterious bow line being secured first, then the stern. In their real life video, showing a nice Regal with through hulls, they secure the stern line first.

In real life, not everyone has a bowrider, and some of their diagram maneuvers would actually be dangerous in some conditions. Particularly the one showing how to pull away from the dock with an opposing wind. I actually tried that method once to witness it. Untying the stern line, engaging the forward throttle while turning the wheel hard towards the dock. Even with bumpers, my cuddy would catch some damage in the forward bow. I don't boat in currents, so maybe that's a better method. But getting on my deck while trying to untie the bow line would be a little dangerous, if not impossible.

Some good information in the course, as it is designed for beginners first, everyone else second. I would think on water instruction would prove more valuable, but admittedly, hard to implement.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote