View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
bigdog

Default Furnace Issue?

Thanks Rusty about the info. you've provided. I've gotton to know so much about oil furnace heating systems this winter b/c of my own issues, I think I'm ready to take the oil-burner technican Certifcation test myself !

Yes, Power Vents are very complex and a pain in the *** !
I think the recent high winds could have tricked the power vent and/or swotch and shutdown the furnace. I don't have any other explanation for the recent furnace behaviour?

My dealer does and happens to know about the funxtions and repairs to Power vents. I would rip out the power vent, and replace with a chimney, if this was practical, but cannot b/c of the current configuration. I would have to run a 25' foot chimney up the side of the house. Being a Condo, would never get the blessings of the Condo Assoc.to do this, besides the location would make this look VERY ugly.

There is a weight adjustment nut, located on vent stack, that balances the ampunt of air which flows through the furnace. If this isn't adjusted properly I suspect it could cause the power vent switch to not work porperly. Just guessing here?

Next time this happens, I will shut your furnace down with the safety switch and then turn it back on to see if it will reset itself.

FYI, I am very careful how many times I reset the burner because I am aware that oil is pushed into the burner each time 'reset' button is pushed and can build-up. Can you say KABOOM ! Learned that lesson a while ago.
I do want to go to heaven, but I don't want to go today !

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote