View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #27
ApS

Default Ambient Noise...Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massasauga View Post
"...Windmills along the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee will diminish the natural beauty inherent to the landscape and will negatively impact property values of those who are forced to view them..."
Energy is an essential to our local and national economic future: maybe you weren't here when we had dozens of 12-foot satellite dishes in our lakeside view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
"...Geothermal is not always a good investment in certain areas of the country. New England is OK..."
The drilling at North Conway has apparently escaped Google's normally-awesome reach, but my Dad remembers a 3000-foot-deep geothermal drilling at Redstone Mountain near North Conway in the 80s. Petroleum company helicopters flew mapping flights from "The White Mountain Airport", where he was employed. (As "The Red Baron" pilot).

Geothermal in New Hampshire was apparently not feasible then—but now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"...I'm not sure I'd like my neighbor to have one if I could hear the constant noise..."
Sound travels best when ambient noise is least (no wind). Some noises the windmill could make would be "covered" by ambient noises—like Jet-Skis!

(Meaning, a windmill would be silent when there's no wind, and somewhat-less noticeable when wind is present).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
"...You may want to mention to your neighbor to verify that nobody behind him/her has a View Easement...Other than that I think windmills are cool, but the returns do not justify the means in this area...Electricity is really not the most expensive thing to replace in New England home when it comes to using nature to offset those costs...""
1) Firewood can be considered "solar" energy, but the cost of firewood has jumped since I last bought a pile. (I also supply my own firewood from trimming and windfalls—but not enough).

2) Returns aren't justified as yet; moreover, when I asked two years ago about a windmill for my lakefront location, I was told the Town would have no objection.

3) For payback, a modest windmill would supply the grid in winter (when I'm not here), and move my meter backwards in summer, when I'm out sailing in a Windmill-class wood sailboat.

(Note the windmill emblem at the peak of the sail).

4) A view easement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
"...This is the way we should all be thinking! Renewable resource energy is our future and should be welcomed by all..."
The industry won't just be a new boost to the economy, it's now a national-security measure!

BTW: Spain—once the "poor-man" of Europe—was once my home in 1970. At my last visit in 1990, nearly the entire Mediterrean Coast was lined with big new windmills.