View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #50
TomC

Default speculation...

The 2006 VP 5.7L engines (likely what the Cobalt was running) had a recall on the accessory drive belt for squealing. I have this powerplant in my 2006 Cobalt - so i know. Rather than trailer the boat back to MA for warranty repair, i had the dealer give me the replacement design belt (the original squeaky one was grooved, the replacement one was "gator backed" - if anyone wnts to know the difference). I figured i'd change it myself.

Well - the big 2" coolant hose going to the waterpump has to be removed to change this belt. I found out the hard way that this connection is below the waterline... When i pulled this hose, water gushed in, and judging from the flow it would have exceeded the capacity of the bilge pump. I was on the dock, so I just reconnected the hose.

If the dealer did this belt recall for the new owner prior to the delivery, maybe the hose clamp was not installed or tightened? I can't see the boat making it from Thurstons to Rattlesnake without overheating if the hose wasn't connected at all, but if it popped off while underway due to the combination of heavy waves and failure to clamp, well...

ps Cobalt insists that the dealer conduct an in-water test with the customer prior to delivery, so i can't see the problem as something too simple or obvious like a missing plug or missing bellows...

Last edited by TomC; 09-04-2007 at 04:03 PM.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote