View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
ApS

Default "Oversized": The Lake-Noise Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
"...I did a biplane ride on Martha's Vineyard last summer..."
And the pilot did a "barrel roll"?

As a passenger, be glad that seat belts became required equipment in aircraft—by law—after nearly 30 years of air travel without them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boatwiser View Post
Sure, that's just great. I wonder if all the people that think a seaplane is just a great thing if it was taking off in front of their home all the time. So much noise you can't even hold a conversation. It was so nice when the last seaplane went out of business about 10 years ago. Now the noise returns - boy that's just wonderful.
A near-identical Cessna floatplane took off directly in front of my place last Thursday. (Same equipment and colors—just slightly-different "graphics").

I'm reminded that heavier floatplanes (like those with amphibious floats) require a larger propeller than "land" planes. The extreme speed of the prop at the tips of each blade is what makes all the noise: it's a mini and continuous, (and literal), "sonic boom"!

A 130-HP Aeronca takes off here frequently—and both floatplane and pilot actually live nearby. Being just a two-seater—and with fabric instead of metal components—it "pops-off" the water in very short order.

It's even easy to overlook!
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote