View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc

Most of my criticism and curiosity is about no rafting zones in general. What is there purpose, is there a safety rational or is just an annoyance factor? How is it decided where to put them? How do the extra rules get added? Can the zones be removed? Can the rules be changed? It's one thing to have a no rafting zone, it's another to use that law to invent a no anchoring zone.

I would bet that the purpose is just to avoid a disturbance of the peace and I'm certain there is a history of loud and obnoxious raft-ups that led to the rules.

While the ends are acceptable, the means kinda stink, in my opinion. NRZs "punish" everyone indiscriminately. To me, the ability for the MP to tell me that I cannot allow two boats to safely and quietly tie up to my boat in certain areas is preposterous. I doubt the NRZ rules would stand up in court if one were to push it. Maybe I should ask my Senator to sponsor a bill. Perehaps we could tackle the absurd "no overnight anchoring" rule as well...

My thoughts: If you plan to hang out at a NRZ sandbar, get there early, anchor legally, and take digital photos of the space around you. That way, if the MP shows up and hassles you for being to close to other boats, you can show them you were there first. May not work, but it's better than just getting angry about someone just trying to enforce the law.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote