View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Why would the ZBA be involved? The business is in an area zoned for that type of business. You only need the ZBA, when you bend or break the zoning rules, you don't need their permission too follow the rules.
The ZBA should be involved, in my opinion.

Quick list of why that's my opinion:
1) The use of the land is being changed.
2) The nature of the business being conducted is being changed.
3) The business will be adding a device (the "oven") that has to meet strict fire codes; access to the business and the abutters' buildings should be checked by the local fire dept (fire code need to be met, in other words).
4) The business will have a chimney that they did not have before, and the town should have some rules for appropriate roof lines, etc.
5) The chimney will be in-use 12 months of the year, so smells, soot, and other considerations should be made for the abutters during the "open windows" seasons.
6) The new service could increase traffic in the area; can the parking lot handle those potential increases? Is there a safe pull-out/pull-in view of the driveway and parking area?
(Really - why would this business want to have this new service on-site if they weren't trying to get more customers? This has to be a large initial investment for the funeral home, so they're certainly expecting it will pay off.)

7) With the potential increase in traffic for their services, can the funeral home's septic service handle that increase?

This is just my $0.02 as a lay-man. I'm not a builder nor am I on the ZBA, but I do know that this will have an impact on the area - that much is obvious. I certainly would not want this in my backyard unless I had assurances already that the impact on my home, the value of my home, and my quality of life would be miminal, if at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post: