View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Smokienorm

Default The Big "Names" in Windows

More on our recent window experience:

Anderson finally agreed to replace what are clearly defective windows. But since this has thrown our project behind by about 8 weeks or more, I still am not enamored of them.

I just priced similar windows from the Gilford Home Store, the local distributor for Marvin windows, and Marvin has a very good reputation but is more expensive than Anderson, which has over 50% of the market. Marvin has 2 levels of quality (and price) so make sure you know what you are getting. Marvin also has a local rep who lives in Gunstock Acres so he could be brought into any project to help.

The other big name in "quality" windows is Pella, but our GC has had prior problems with Pella windows and would not recommend them. I have been told that they make one grade for their distributors and a somewhat lesser quality grade for the big box stores.

If we had to do it lover again, we would go with Marvins.

And a good installer is essential- in our weather it is especially important to have someone who knows a lot about proper caulking, foam insulation around windows frames, securing the house wrap around the openings, etc.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote