Thread: Ice-Out 2008
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #61
CanisLupusArctos

Default Snowmobiles

Yesterday I saw a snowmobile traverse the lake from around Center Harbor down to Five-Mile Island. I can't remember the last time I saw snowmobiles on the ice in April. I saw another one this morning, towing something.

Last year at this time, there was significantly more open water. Most of the ice went out forcefully during the 60+ mph winds of the April 16 NorEaster.

This weekend's weather will likely have an impact, as we are expecting heavy rain. Runoff flowing into the lake rapidly will erode the shoreline ice more than it already is. The pounding rain on top of the ice will eat away at it.

At Black Cat WeatherCam the water temp at 10 feet has been holding steady at 35 for the last couple weeks, while the surface has been fluctuating. It's been reaching 35 in the daytime but the cold nights have been bringing it back to 33 and the surface of open water has been re-freezing. Last night was the first night I saw the surface temp stay above 33 all night... it was 34 this morning, and 10-foot depth is still 35.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote