View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #61
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Cate,

I understand the skeptism of the electric water heater... But look into the math, if fuel prices keep going up, Propane and Oil become costly... I have a family of 4 on a electric hot water tank, and have no issues, as far as operating costs, well our electric bill is around 100$ a month... note this doesn't include heating, or an electric dryer. We do however power several computers and assorted electronics....

The big distinction as I mentioned in my earlier post, is to buy a high quality water heater, not one from Lowes or Home depot...Also if you are going to have multiple people taking shower in succession go with a bigger capacity.
Thank you.

Yes, do look at the math.

Years ago there was a stigma associated with anything electric for heating/cooling. Those were the days when oil and propane were cheap.

Tankless are all the rage now. Use propane only when unit is on. Great. If you have a power vent then that electric motor is running every time you turn on hot water faucet. On and off and on and off.

What are the intial costs of tank electric versus power vented tankless? Has anyone explained flow rates and water pressure to you? What size copper water pipes serve the home? 1/2 in or 3/4 inch? Best read up on such. And who is going to fix this tankless water heater?

With a tank electric water heater - as Ron Popeil states: "Set it and forget it".
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote