View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Piston:
In a perfect world you are correct. However, let me give you an example of what often happens in the real world. You wake up in Wolfeboro and head to your boat and find perfect conditions so you load everyone in and head to Meredith for lunch. The ride is wonderful with calm conditions. After enjoying lunch and shopping for a couple hours your family piles back in and you head to Wolfeboro only to find the prevailing west wind has kicked in and the chop is unforgiving making the return treck uncomfortable, at best. You can pick any two ports on the lake and have the same experience. Yes, small pontoon boats are fine if you want to putt around in a very limited space on certain parts of the lake but if you want to have any range at all I'd think long and hard about what you purchase. Winnipesaukee can be incredibly rough. My advice is take your time and rent a few different boats before you buy. There is always a deal to be had in the used boat market, especially if you wait until the fall to buy. Good luck.
The good news is... my boat is all paid for, the bad news is... I made a terrible decision 6 years ago and bought a WAY undersized, and way underpowered pontoon, (20' - 50HP). Now, while we have enjoyed the boat in certain conditions, we have severely limited when, and how, we can use the boat.

I really like pontoons, the style and space on the boat is ideal for what we consider a great Winni boating experience. Way too many times we take a quick look at the lake and decide, "not a good day for our boat".

I'm actually considering a "good used", (now, there's an oxymoron for ya!) and am looking for a 24' (Max size for the LSP Marina) Tri Toon with at least 150HP, prefer more. Size does matter!

JMHO