View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #85
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hope the snow lasted better on the north side of the lake.

At my house in Alton Bay, we had at least 6 inches, and perhaps nearing 9 or 10 inches. However, from the time I got up at about 730 to when I went out to clean it up about 1100, a combination of compressing and melting brought it down to about two inches of almost slush.

As much as I want to play golf and get the boat in, and I was truly hoping the snow would prolong the season by a week, I can see the trail going through my property behind the house getting thin to non-existent.

I'm afraid this banner year for snowmobiling is rapidly coming to an end around here.

And Vita Bene...I feel your pain. We have a landowner who shut off his property making the trip from Alton to Mt Major much more difficult. MMSC worked really hard working with some land owners and the town to get around this closed area. I don't snowmobile, but gladly opened my land for a small part of this trail. On the road section of this trail, they have a sign posted at each end asking that snowmobilers ride on the far side of the road from where the trail enters the road. Several did not heed the signs, and even went on private property. A land owner has complained to the Town about the sleds going across the front of her property on the road rather than on the other side of the road, and the town is now raising questions as to how long the club intends to use the short section of the road. A few idiots may very well end up costing the good snowmobilers access from Alton over the D trail to Mt. Major. Very frustrating. And there is a PO'd landowner. Good luck VB. As far as I know, there is no damage to our landowner's property, only in the goodwill.