View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
MOXIE

Default Water shut-off or not.

To answer your original question, Yes your boiler may need small amounts of water from time to time. However, if your system is not to old, your boiler has a "low water shut down circuit". If you are on a well, jet pump {shallow well or drawing from the lake} or city water, your pressure is probably between 40psi and 60psi. Your boiler has an emergency blow off valve set at 30psi. The boiler normally has 14psi to run properly. The domestic water supply has a regulator, at the boiler, to maintain 14psi. The regulator has in-line to the boiler a "back-flow preventer" {to prevent boiler water from entering the domestic supply, if the domestic pressure dropped below 14psi}.
If I understand your concern correctly, You are afraid that if the power went out, and the house froze and burst pipes, you would not want the water to come on when the power was restored. In my experience most homes will not freeze for 3 or 4 days.
If your heating system is in good shape, Shutting off the "Water Supply Valve" for a week or two, should not hurt anything.
Peace My Friend, Moxie
MOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote