View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #54
ApS

Lightbulb Designated Rafting Zone...DNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay Resident
I'd glady pay for a day without being potentially hassled by the MP....
The MPs are an extraordinary "presence" so far this season. Where I might have seen one every day, this season there have been as many as three in sight at once off my dock!

DRZs could be placed near present popular sites, but the mooring balls themselves would not have to be so large (such as those at popular snorkeling sites in Florida). They could be "seasonally maintained" by being sunk with a concrete block.

There would have to be some rules—signed by the rafter:

1) No overnights (7AM-7PM use only—ten bucks)
2) Cash only
3) No bow-to-stern raft-ups
4) No anchoring between bouys
5) Two-maximum boats at each bouy
6) Pay "the college kid" (with MP hat), who must present receipt (printed on rice paper) to the rafter, who must then post it visibly
7) Moorings must be abandoned upon approach of severe weather. (Note: Leaving a DRZ mooring otherwise frees it up for a new user)
8) No littering
9) No water balloon fights—no "other stuff" , like other places far from Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee'N'Mac
Not every raft-up needs to be at a beach or be able to touch bottom with your toes.
Heavily-populated shallows and beach rafting areas are likely sites for Duck Itch and other "introduced troubles". Deep rafting areas—free of Duck Itch, severe wakes and wave action—could prove more popular!

Since the Granite State has no shortage of boulders and rocks, they could be trucked in on firm ice, piled, and arranged to protect against the worst wakes/waves. Making use of an existing troublesome area makes sense. (Bizer's Rock comes to mind).