View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #36
Denny Crane

Default Retrieving

Retrieving with one skilled, one unskilled operator works well if there is some type of order at the boat ramp, however I've commented on a previous thread that if there's no order or direction(shep brown's) things become aggravating and stressful.
At a boat ramp where there's organization and I have one unskilled 14 year old with me:
1. Pull up to the end of the dock, assuming everyone ahead is pulling.
2.Shut off the ignition for good, I don't want to powerload nor do I want my child dealing with the winch, clasps, etc.
4. Hand my child the lines and tell him/her as the boats ahead get pulled out of the water move up the dock.
5.Retrieve my trailer up the dreaded hill at shep browns, worst part of the day.
6.By the time I return with my trailer and back it in, my child is next in line to pull, throws me the line, kicks out the back end and away we go in less than 5 minutes maybe.

Here's what drives me nuts.
1.Pull up to the end of the dock(sheps), in line with boats I assume are pulling out of the water because the entire end of the dock and other side is empty of boats
2.Hand my child the lines and tell them to pull our boat down the dock as boats get pulled out.
3. For whatever reason there's always a boat parked in the number 2 or 3 spot that isn't pulling. Why no one tells them to use the other side of the dock or the end of the dock to park their ass I have no idea. So now my child can't pull my boat down the dock, and while boats are getting pulled and I'm getting my trailer, other boats are pulling into the number 1 and 2 spots!
4. Now after I put my trailer down the ramp and my boat is not in the 1 spot I have to walk down the dock, start my boat, cram around the parked boats and float it hopefully somewhere within 10' of my winch, hop off, hook up.

If there was any order at some of these ramps there'd be less stress and there would be smaller lines.
I haven't had a problem at Town Docks.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote