View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If you have the right people (and that's a big if) the launch can be very quick.

In the early 70's we would launch 2 or 3 boats almost every Saturday morning at Downings in Alton Bay. There was usually a line of 4 or 5 boats and you just knew that would take a minimum of 10 minutes per boat as all the things people in this thread have mentioned happened to delay the launch. And, that is assuming someone in their group could successfully back up a trailer.

When our turn came, the boat would already be disconnected, no dock line, no fenders, just a driver in the boat with the blower on. A quick back down the ramp, the motor started just as the drive hits the water, shift into reverse, and the car driver hits the brakes and the boat slides off. Back the boat out of the way and come back in to pick up your friends when they are ready at the dock. A total of less than a minute and the dock is clear for the next person.

People would be surprised at the speed of the launch and some of the regulars would wave us around them in line because they knew we wouldn't delay them at all.
You and I could have had a contest..... I had a 26' Hurricane and the trailer had rollers instead of pads.
I would untie all the lines and back down rapidly,The wheels barely got wet as the boat slid off into the water with a huge splash.Funny to watch.....took about 30seconds.
Didn't have a driver in the boat,just someone holding the bow line to walk it away from the ramp.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote