View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
ApS

Default "Etiquette" plus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
"...What would have been the etiquette here when our 2 boats were no more than 30' apart...?"
At some point, the other boat would have been 150' away. At 300', you might have sounded five blasts on your air horn. (To signal "danger".) That should elicit some response, unless those boats have "lesser" captains than the Mount—who is the best.

My experience is that the first two waves are manageable, but the third and fourth are the worst waves in a wake.

Slow down, take the first two at a 45° angle, then shift either:

1) more directly into the wake (and get wet) or
2) take a slightly less sharp angle (and get pushed around—but stay drier).

If the wake is curling over at the top, you will have the worst of wakes. This is usually the wake that takes place on the inside of the other boat's turn.

If you have the room, moving away from a wake is a really good idea. (Which is why I've long maintained that powerboats should direct their passage (and wakes) behind a sailboat).

I had an occasional this season where I had to surf a huge wake in order to save my powerboat and passengers from a certain swamping. I never did see the boat that made it, and it's likely that the wake originated from the other side of the Broads.