View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
jeffk

Default Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Leave it plugged in.This produces a small amount of heat to keep her from freezing.
I'm not sure that leaving it plugged in will produce much heat. The newer TVs are digital which consume far less power and don't require the warm-up (in general) that older TVs required. Also, environmentally, there is a push in the electronics industry to minimize the standby power used (energy star electronics) and also thereby the heat produced.

I agree that if some electronic gadget is frozen the best thing to go is let it warm to room temperature before turning it on. Computers that have been shipped to me have had very obvious notice about this inside the box. It may not even be the plasma or LCD that's the main problem but instead the associated electronics and the dampness that comes with cold temps. In low power electronics it may not take very much of a condensation "short" to blow something out. And since no one bothers to fix these things you end up having to replace the unit.

Figure out what brands you may be interested in and call or put a question on the manufacturers web site. Save the response. If you don't get a response maybe you don't want a brand that won't respond to customer questions anyway.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote